Surrey Ranked Way Down In 155th Position Of Local Authorities For Fixing Reported Potholes

Champion Timber opens timber branch in Weybridge
1st February 2018
London commuters head for hills of Surrey
3rd March 2018

Locals have been frequently complaining recently about the state of roads, with potholes being hazardous, causing damage to cars and potentially lethal accidents for cyclists. The website ‘Fix That Hole’ exists to exert pressure on local authorities by monitoring the rate of fixes and reporting their performance. At 31st January 2018, Surrey was in a dismal 155th position out of 214 Loacal Authorities. They had 7,956 total reports, with 6,757 open reports and 1,164 fixed reports, which is a fix rate of only 15%.

Reporting Potholes – Contact Surrey County Council, Not Elmbridge or other Local Councils

A local resident recently raised the concern of a potentially lethal pothole for cyclists coming down Caenswood Hill Weybridge to Elmbridge Council on Twitter. They have replied that potholes need to be reported to Surrey County Council and that the website page for doing this is on the following link: but …
If you think this is an emergency then please call call their contact centre on 0300 200 1003.

The website states:
The level of response is dependent on the location, size and risk that the defect poses to public safety. This may result in it either:

being repaired within 28 days if it is identified as a safety risk
being repaired as part of other programmed works
being monitored as part of the routine inspections programme as the risk to public safety is not sufficient to merit any action

Highways & Roadworks: Reporting Emergencies To Surrey County Council

Definition and examples of reports that are considered an emergency

A report or defect that requires an immediate response is one that has a high risk of vehicle/pedestrian interaction with the likely result of serious or even fatal consequences.

Examples of what are considered to be emergency situations that would require an immediate response

  • Road collapse
  • Landslide resulting in part or the entire road being impassable
  • Structure collapse (e.g. bridge, wall, fences, scaffolds, hoarding)
  • Street Furniture collapse e.g. road signs and other street furniture damaged to such an extent that they have become a direct danger or obstruction to the travelling public – e.g. bent into the path of vehicles
  • Missing manhole/gully cover
  • Road traffic accidents resulting in debris or oil on the carriageway
  • Vehicle fire on carriageway
  • Debris e.g. shed load
  • Large dead animals e.g. cattle/deer/horse causing obstruction. Please note that this does not apply if the road is passable; e.g. small animals not causing obstruction, or fly-tipping on verge
  • Oil or paint spills
  • Toxic or hazardous material or spill
  • Fallen tree, branch or lamp column blocking part or the entire carriageway
  • Unlit skip during hours of darkness
  • Exposed electrical wires e.g. cover missing from lamp column
  • Extensive flooding resulting in road being impassable, or flood presenting high risk of damage to property or danger to public. Please note: This does not include burst pipes or water mains, which should be dealt with by the water utility – Thames Water or Southern Water depending on the area in which the flood is located
  • Road openings, left unguarded or unprotected, presenting a potential danger to the public
  • Traffic signals (temporary or permanent) that are not working

If you are unsure and need advice on whether you think its an emergency situation, please call this number 0300 200 1003.


Information Source: Surrey County Council Website page:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *